Finance Minister Anam Ramnarayana Reddy has inaugurated the VSU first Inter-Collegiate Sports Tournaments at Kavali town in Potti Sreeramulu Nellore district on 28th September 2011. The Four day tournament is being organized by Vikrama Simhapuri University (VSU) along with Jawahar Bharati Educational Institutions, Kavali from 28th September to 1st October. The Minister along with VSU In-Charge Vice-Chancellor, Prof. N. Prabhakara Rao, District Collector, Sri. B. Sreedhar, Prof. V. Narayana Reddy, Registrar released the pigeons to mark the inauguration of the tournament. Kavali MLA, Beeda Masthan Rao presided over the programme
Speaking on the occasion, Minister Ramnarayana Reddy announced that the government has sanctioned a Sports hostel for Nellore district which would accommodate several sports men and women in the district. The hostel building estimated at a cost of 2.5 crore would be constructed at A.C. Subba Reddy stadium in Nellore, said Minister. The government is also proposed to construct sports complexes in all 46 mandals in the district and directed the collector to acquire land for the establishment of the complexes.
Mr. Beeda Masthan Rao, thanked the VSU authorities for organizing the event for the first time in the University and also in the district at Kavali town. Jawahar Bharati Management, which is one of the noted educational institutions in the district will provide all arrangements for the sportsmen, coaches and others attending the sports meet.
Prof. N. Prabhakara Rao, In-Charge Vice-Chancellor, VSU said, "More than 500 students from 127 affiliated colleges under VSU are participating in the tournament being organized by the University for the first time. Later, Prof. V. Narayana Reddy, Registrar along with other dignitaries visited the grounds and the courts prepared for the tournaments. Sri. D. Vinay Kumar Reddy, Rector, Jawahar Bharati Educational Institutions accompanied him. Kavali RDO, Venkateswarlu, VSU PG Centre Special Officer, P. Siva Shankar, District Sports Development Officer, T. Satyanarayana, former M.P Magunta Parvatamma and others participated in the programme.
Vikrama Simhapuri University Teams participated in All India/South Zone Inter-University tournaments
1. Kho-Kho Women team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at Pondicherry University, Puducherry.
2. Foot Ball Men's team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at Univerfsity of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram.
3. Cricket Men's team participated in South Zone inter-University tournaments held at Osmania University, Hyderabad.
4. Athletics Men's team participated in All India InterUniveristy Tournaments held at Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka.
5. Athletics Women's Team participated in All Inda Inter-University Tournaments held at Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka.
6. Kabaddi Men's team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at Periyar University, Salem.
7. Kho-Kho Men's team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore.
8. Volleyball Men's team participated in South zone Inter-University tournaments held at Bharatiar University, Coimbatore.
9. Shuttle Badminton Men's team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at VIT University, Vellore.
10. Shuttle Badminton Women's team participated in South Zone Inter-University tournaments held at VIT University, Vellore.
11. Ball Badminton Men's team participated in All India Inter-University Tournaments held at Mangalore University, Mangalore.
"The University is committed to promote strong physical culture in the students which is one of the cherished missions," said Prof. C.R. Visweswara Rao, Vice-Chancellor, Vikrama Simhapuri University chairing the First Sports Board Meeting in the Administration Building of the University on 25th July 2011. He pronounced the vision plan of the University in conducting the sports activities in the coming academic year.
The University Sports Body met and allotted venues for the Inter-collegiate tournaments. Jawahar Bharathi Degree College, Kavali will be venue for V.S. University Inter - Collegiate Athletics and Games tournaments for both men and women. V.S. University Inter-Collegiate zone-wise and Inter-Zonal Cricket Tournament for members of faculty and staff will be conducted in Govt. Degree College, Udayagiri. Students proving themselves in the Inter-collegiate tournaments will be encouraged to participate in the Inter-University tournaments to be held in S.V. University, Tirupati. Nine events have been identified to be conducted in the Inter-University Meet. They are: Athletics (Men & Women), Badminton (Men and Women) Ball Badmintion (men), Chess (Men), Cricket (Men), Football (Men), Kho-Kho (Men and Women), Volleyball (Men), Kabaddi (Men).
Prof. V. Narayana Reddy in his Sports Board Report gave a comprehensive view of the University's Sports and Games activities and presented a vision plan for the future. Sri M. Chandra Mohan, President and Sri Y. Ravindra Babu, Secretary of the association felicitated them. Prof. T. Sudha, Dean CDC was present on the occasion. Dr. Y. Kishore, former Registrar, Krishna University is the Expert Committee member on the VSU Sports Board.